Architectural practice of 20 Suffolk St, Dublin, which took its name from the partnership formed between William Henry Byrne and his son Ralph Henry Byrne on 10 April 1902. The practice, which kept the same name until its closure in 2006, retained in its archives a large quantity of architectural drawings dating back to the early 1880s when William Henry Byrne was in partnership with John O'Neill. They did architectural drawings for many churches in the Ballinasloe area in the late nineteenth/early twentieth centuries.
Archival History ↴
Acquired by the James Hardiman Library in December 2000
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: W.H. Byrne & Son. ↴
Architectural ink and paper sketches of the layout of railings for the front of Ballinasloe Church, giving the section, plan and front elevation views of them. It also includes some rough sketches in pencil. The work is done by W G Byrne and son, architects, of Dublin.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Limited items – no arrangement applicable
Conditions of Access & Use
The collection is accessible to all bone fide researchers, and subject to the conditions of access governing the consultation of archival material at the James Hardiman Library.
Conditions Governing Reproduction
No material may be reproduced from this collection without the written permission of the archivist, and reproductions are subject to the conditions of access.
W.H. Byrne & Son closed in 2006, when the drawings of the business were given to the Irish Architectural Archive in 2007 (Acc. 2006/142).
William H. Byrne & Son architects. Centenary 1883-1983 (Privately Printed, 1983), copy in the Irish Architectural Archive.
Descriptive Control Area
Kieran Hoare; Fergus Fahey
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.