The Catholic University of Ireland was formally inaugurated in 1854 with John Henry Newman (1801-1890) as rector. Newman resigned after four years. The Royal University of Ireland was an examining body only and did not provide tuition. In 1883 the trustees of the Catholic University leased to the Society of Jesus the university buildings of 84-86 St. Stephen’s Green which were given the new name of University College, Dublin. Fr William Delaney SJ (1835-1924) was appointed president. In 1908 the National University of Ireland came into existence. In 1909 the Jesuit community left St. Stephen’s Green for a new residence at 35 Lower Leeson Street. The college in St Stephen’s Green was the beginning of a long association between Irish Jesuits and university education in Ireland.
Archival History ↴
In 1909 the Jesuit community left St. Stephen’s Green for a new residence at 35 Lower Leeson Street.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Irish Jesuits ↴
Leaflets, memoranda, notices, pamphlets, programmes and registers dating from 1883, when the Jesuits took control of University College, Dublin until 1908. Includes:
History of University College, Dublin written in Latin (1913-1915); House Histories of St. Stephen’s Green (1882-1883; );
Programme of examinations and examination papers of the Catholic University of Ireland (1875);
Time-tables and rules for St. Ignatius College, S.J. with extensive handwritten notes concerning the establishment of a Catholic University (1882-1883);
Course Outlines (1877-1907) – notice outlining the objectives and courses offered by the Catholic University, St. Stephen’s Green (1877), pamphlet outlining the course of lectures in the class of Natural Philosophy, Catholic University of Ireland (1878-1879), a file containing prospectus for University College, Dublin (1883-1885; 1906-1907);
Roll book (1881-1891) – University College roll book detailing student’s names and results obtained in examinations (1883-1887);
Move of Jesuit Community from St. Stephen’s Green (1904-1909);
References to Fr. Gerard Manley Hopkins SJ (1844-1889) and letters from Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801-1890).
Appraisal Destruction ↴
All items retained permanently
Material was catalogued in 1998, 2004, 2006 and 2007.
Conditions of Access & Use
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: www.jesuitarchives.ie
Conditions Governing Reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
IE IJA/J11 (Fr. Gerard Manley Hopkins SJ), IE IJA/J456 (Fr William Delany SJ), IE IJA/N16 (John Henry Newman) and IE IJA/CM/LEES (Leeson Street/Hatch Street/ University Hall)
IE UCDA CU (Records of the Catholic University 1850-1911) available from University College Dublin
A page of Irish history: story of University College, Dublin, 1883-1909. Irish Jesuits. Talbot Press (1930)
Gwynn SJ, Fr. Aubrey, ‘The Jesuit fathers and University College', Michael Tierney (ed.), Struggle with fortune: a miscellany for the centenary of the Catholic University of Ireland, 1854-1954. Browne & Nolan (1954)
Morrissey SJ, Thomas J. Towards a National University: William Delany SJ (1835-1924). Wolfhound Press (1983)
Descriptive Control Area
IGAD: Irish Guidelines for Archival Description. Dublin: Society of Archivists, Ireland, 2009.
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000. National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and
Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997.
Irish Guidelines for Indexing Archives. Dublin: Archives and Records Association, Ireland, 2013.