Coláiste Iognáid, (St. Ignatius’ College), Galway

Repository: Irish Jesuit Archives

Identity Statement

TitleColáiste Iognáid, (St. Ignatius’ College), Galway
Archive ReferenceIE IJA/SC/GALW
Web Link to this Entry
Creation Dates1859-2000
Extent Medium15 boxes


Creator(s): Irish Jesuits

  • Administrative History ↴

    The Jesuit influence in Galway can be traced back to the 1620’s, when a residence was set up. In 1645, the first Jesuit school was founded in Galway. The Jesuits modern incarnation in Galway was motivated by an invitation by Bishop John McEvilly in 1859 to return to the city. St Ignatius College founded in 1861, but actually opened in 1863, as a single-sex school, is now a co-educational, non-fee paying secondary school. A brief hiatus in the work of St Ignatius College occurred 1926 - 1929, and the school was re-established, due to intense lobbying from local people, businesses and Galway Jesuits, with a new name, Coláiste Iognáid, which became an Irish-medium school in 1931.
  • Archival History ↴

    Material deposited from the Provincialate over a number of years and most recently from Galway in 2006.
  • Immediate Source Acquisition ↴

    Official Transfer

Content & Structure

  • Scope & Content: Irish Jesuits ↴

    The papers of Coláiste Iognáid (St Ignatius’ College) and the Jesuit community offer an insight into the social, cultural and religious life of Galway. There are documents on the history of the Jesuits in Galway, property details such as deeds, leases and plans of property at Sea Road, Renmore, Sherwood Fields and Nuttall’s Garden, and correspondence with various Bishops of Galway and Jesuit Provincials. These documents illustrate major events in Jesuit community life: the return of the Jesuits and the establishment of a residence and school; building developments, ‘Attacked by Beetle: work to save church roof’ (1939); 1963 centenary celebrations and the erection of St Ignatius as a parish (1971). House histories, minister’s journals, visitations, and consults illuminate the ordinary life of members of the Jesuit community in Galway, ‘we have been hit hard again by the “Flu” (25 February 1919).

    Roll books, school diaries, college calendars and school publications, such as ‘Turas na Sóisear’, which detail bicycle outings in the Galway area, with hand-drawn maps and route schedule (1940-1947). The arts and sports at Coláiste Iognáid are documented through photographs, scrapbooks and programmes of plays (The Rising of the Moon by Lady Gregory, 1941, for example), debates, theatre and musicals performances, rowing, rugby and GAA. The administration of the Jesuit school, community and Jesuit-run church provides information on: the role of Irish in the school; staffing; past pupils; Penny Dinners; sodalities; altar notices and masses. Financial papers, which consist of church and college accounts, bequests and intentions, also exemplify church activity and functions.

  • Appraisal Destruction ↴

    All items retained permanently
  • Accruals ↴

    Periodic Accruals
  • Arrangement ↴

    Material was catalogued in 2000, 2004 and 2009.

    Papers of Coláiste Iognáid, Galway (2000)
    A. Historical Notes on Galway (1859-1866; 1912)
    B. Rectors, Vice-Rectors and Superiors (1859-1959)
    C. Property (1861; 1904-1929)
    D. Contacts with the Bishop (1863; 1933-1949)
    E. House History (1882-1883)
    F. Finances (1901)
    G. Deceased Members (1902-1933)
    H. Renovations (1903-1904)
    I. Letters to Fr. Provincial (1913-1920)
    J. Consultor’s Letters (1913-1947)
    K. Letters from Fr. Superior to Fr. Provincial (1913-1934)
    L. Guilds [ ]
    M. Other (1937-1947)
    N. Photographs [1963]
    O. Staff, Students and Teaching (1909; 1940-1944)
    P. Academic Achievements (1919- 1946)
    Q. Closure (1925-1926)
    R. Old Boys (1946)
    S. Centenary (1963)

    Addenda (2004)
    A. Letters to Provincials (1959-1979)
    B. Finance (1958-1980)
    C. Community, Church, Parish (1969-1979)
    D. Building and Property (1958-1980)
    E. The Secondary School (1973-1978)
    F. The Primary School (1970-1977)
    G. Centenary (1963)

    Addenda (2009)
    A. The Jesuits in Galway (1859-1990)
    B. Property (1866-1975)
    C. St. Ignatius’ College (1876-1990)
    D. Jesuit community at St. Ignatius (1859-1983)
    E. Church activity and functions (1887-2000)
    F. Church and College buildings: interior and exterior (1861-1972)
    G. Sodality (1860-1972)
    H. St. Ignatius finances: church and school (1862-1981)
    I. Photographs of Galway & Others (1903-1958)

Conditions of Access & Use

Access Conditions The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details:
Conditions Governing ReproductionNo material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Creation Dates1859-2000
Extent Medium15 boxes
Material Language ScriptEnglish and Irish
Finding Aids Descriptive List Archive Web Link →

Allied Materials

Publication NoteFinegan, Fr. Francis SJ, ‘Jesuit Yearbook’, 1964.

Descriptive Control Area

Archivist NoteDamien Burke
Rules/ConventionsIGAD: Irish Guidelines for Archival Description. Dublin: Society of Archivists, Ireland, 2009. ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000. National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997. Irish Guidelines for Indexing Archives. Dublin: Archives and Records Association, Ireland, 2013.
Date of Descriptions41548