Creator(s): Colclough family of Tintern Abbey, County Wexford
Administrative History ↴
Tintern abbey, once one of the most powerful Cistercian foundations in Ireland, was located on the Hook peninsula, County Wexford, Ireland. The abbey was founded in 1200 by William Marshall (d.1219), the 1st earl of Pembroke. The abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536 and it passed into the possession of the Colclough family, who held it until the 1950s.
Archival History ↴
Received in 1984 from Collis and Ward, solicitors, Dublin.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Colclough family of Tintern Abbey, County Wexford ↴
The collection comprises of records generated by the Colclough Estate in County Wexford. Leases and deeds relate to Tintern Abbey from the early 17th century to the 20th century, the later papers concerning the Irish Land Commission and Land Purchase Act.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
The collection is arranged as follows:
1/ Deeds 1628-1937
2/ Estate 1551-1912
3/ Land Commission 1891-1923
4/ Legal 1851-1906
5/ Estate Maps 1842-1915
6/ Estate volumes 1842-1899
7/ Volumes 1554-1860
Conditions of Access & Use
Available to holders of a valid readers ticket
Conditions Governing Reproduction
Reproduction is at the discretion of the archivist
Material Language Script
A descriptive list of sections 1-3 is available for consultation at the National Archives of Ireland, sections 4-7 have not been listed.
Archive Web Link →
Further material relating to the Colclough family of County Wexford is held in the National Archives of Ireland:
IE 0625/1161/4 Colclough Family Estate: Rentals
IE 0625/1177 Colclough Family Estate: Family Papers
Descriptive Control Area
Adapted by IAR archivist, March 2014
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.
National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997.
Date of Descriptions