|Title||Commissioners for the Improvement of St. Michael's Parish|
|Archive Reference||IE LA L/MP|
|Web Link to this Entry||https://iar.ie/archive/commissioners-improvement-st-michaels-parish|
|Extent Medium||30 Volumes|
Creator(s): Commissioners for St Michael's Parish
Administrative History ↴Newtown Pery experienced a great development in the last third of the eighteenth century and the incapacity of Limerick Corporation to provide all the services required for the expanding city, led to the appointment of improvement commissioners. The result was the creation of the Commissioners for the Improvement of St Michael's Parish by the Newtown Act of 1807, "an act for paving, cleaning, lighting and watching the parish of St Michael, in the liberties of the city of Limerick, and adjoining the said city, and for preventing and removing nuisances therein". The Commissioners for the Improvement of St Michael's Parish were abolished by the Limerick Improvement Act of 1853 and their property, staff and powers to pave, clean, light and watch were transferred to Limerick Corporation.
Archival History ↴Official Transfer from Limerick Corporation
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴Official Transfer
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Commissioners for St Michael's Parish ↴
Minute Books (1819-1844) which include details of the setting of rates, payments made and services provided including scavenging, nuisance prevention, street sweeping, the lighting of street lamps and a list of Commissioners.
Account Books (1813-1851) which provide details of services rendered, payments made on items such as street lighting, street sweeping, night watchmen, sewer maintenance, surveying, rate collecting and the sale of various surplus parish items including manure. Rate Books (1810-1846) providing details of rates collected including inhabitants, yearly value of premises, rates payable’, ‘when paid’ and ‘insolvencies’.Streets mentioned in volumes include: Ann(e) Street, Arthur’s Quay, Baker Place, Bank Place, Barrington Street, Bedford Row, Brunswick Street, Carr Street, Catherine Place, Catherine Street, Cecil Street , Cecil Street Upper Charlotte Quay, Charlotte Quay, Lane rear of Corn Market Row, Cornwallis Street, Custom House Place, Denmark Street, Denmark Street Upper, Dominick Street, Ellen Street, Francis Street, George Street, Glentworth Street, Griffiths Row, Hartstonge Street, Henry Street, High Street, Honans Quay, Mallow Street, Market Ally, Meads Quay, Michael Street, Murnanes Place, Nelson Street, Newenham Street, Old Hay market, Old Play House lane, Patrick Street, Pery Square, Pery Square- East Side, Pery Square – Tontine Houses, Pery Street, Pikes Lane, Queen Street, Quinlan Street, Richmond Place, Robert Street, Roches Street, Rutland Street, Sexton Street, Shannon Street, Studdarts Lane, Taylors Street, Thomas Street, Watergate Lane, Windmill Street, Wickam Street, William Street, William Street Little, William Street, Upper. As the area grew more streets and premises were included over time. Individual house numbers are only included within the first two volumes.
Night Watch Report Books (1838-1849) containing nightly reports of the Night Watch service for St. Michael’s parish, detailing the number of men on duty each night and whether they were permanent or supernumerary staff, details of incidents that occurred throughout each night and a weekly watchmen pay list.
Inspector’s Visits Report Book (1837-1838) containing details of the Night Watch Inspectors nightly inspections.
Appraisal Destruction ↴Permanent Retention
Night Watch Report Books
Inspector’s Visits Report Book
Conditions of Access & Use
|Access Conditions||Access details on website www.limerickcity.ie|
|Conditions Governing Reproduction||Subject to condition of item and copyright legilsation|
|Extent Medium||30 Volumes|
|Material Language Script||English|
|Characteristics Tech Req||Bound volumes|
|Finding Aids||Descriptive list Archive Web Link →|
|Copies Information||Collection available in digital format on www.limerickcity.ie|
|Related Material||Archives of Limerick Corporation|
Descriptive Control Area
|Archivist Note||Limerick City Archives Archivist|
|Rules/Conventions||ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.|