Creator(s): Dublin University Rowing Club
Dublin University Boat Club
Administrative History ↴
The Pembroke Club was founded 2nd September 1836 by Joseph Hone, it was composed mainly of Trinity undergraduates though not confined to them so, in 1843, the University Rowing Club, with membership restricted to undergraduates, was founded. However, the Great Famine soon struck Ireland and with both clubs weakened a merger was agreed upon and the new club assumed the name Dublin University Rowing Club. The club held its regatta at Ringsend. A split developed in the club and in May 1867 about two dozen members resigned and almost immediately formed the Dublin University Boat Club. For the next 31 years the two clubs existed side by side but they amalgamated once more on 11 May 1898 under the Boat Club name.
Source: RF Blake ‘ A short History of Rowing at Trinity College Dublin’ 1836-1986 (Offprint 28)
Archival History ↴
The majority of Boat club records were deposited in July 1975 with additional donations received in 1983 and in the 1990s.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Dublin University Rowing Club
Dublin University Boat Club ↴
The collection consists of records of DU Boat club and DU Rowing club which merged with the Boat club in 1898, largely comprising of incomplete sequences of volumes including committee minutes, membership proposal books, accounts, record books and books of press cuttings. The section of records held within the miscellaneous papers sequence comprise of honorary treasurer’s papers (1964-1969); papers concerning the Henley fund (1960-1965); papers relating to regattas; miscellaneous correspondence (1869-1974); financial papers; Captain’s reports (1906-1974); papers relating to property including legal agreements and other miscellaneous records. A sequence of rolls of plans relate primarily to property at Island Bridge including drawings and plans for a boat house by Godfrey Ferguson of Belfast (1897-1898), the rolls also include plans of regatta courses and posters for regattas. The collection also includes photographs of crews and social events. The period covered by the papers as a whole is wide, but coverage varies considerably within sequences.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
All items retained permanently
The collection is arranged according to document type and according to date of acquisition.
Conditions of Access & Use
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of your visit
Conditions Governing Reproduction
Please contact email@example.com for guidance
74 Volumes; 16 Boxes and 32 rolls of plans
Material Language Script
A full descriptive list can be consulted in the Manuscripts and Archives Research Library, Trinity College Dublin
Archive Web Link →
Further related material is held at Manuscripts and Archives Research Library, Trinity College Dublin:TCD MUN/V/98/38,
TCD MS 3679
RF Blake ‘ A short History of Rowing at Trinity College Dublin’ 1836-1986 (Offprint 28)
Descriptive Control Area
Natalie Milne, February 2014
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000. National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997.