|Dublin Biological Club
|Web Link to this Entry
|22 volumes + 3 boxes
Creator(s): Dublin Biological Club
Administrative History ↴The Dublin Biological Club was founded in January 1872 at a meeting called to 'consider the expediency of forming a scientific club'. Membership of the club was by election, and a subscription was to be paid by all members, who could present papers, specimens and cases on 'the morbid and health conditions of animal and vegetable life'. Members were also allowed to bring visitors to the meeting, who could also on occasion present papers. The club originally met in rooms in Trinity College Dublin, before hiring a room on Great Brunswick Street (1874-1881) and finally moving to the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland. Membership of the club was initially by unanimous election, although this was changed to a ballot at which one negative in five (later seven) could prevent election. The club met weekly for the presentations of papers between October and June (later May), there were also annual general meetings and club dinners. Over the years the frequency of meetings was reduced, although members were required to attend a quota of meetings each session or they would forfeit their membership. From the beginning the press were excluded from the meetings, which meant that doctors were able to talk about unsuccessful treatments, as well as those cases which had succeeded.
Archival History ↴The minute books of the Dublin Biological Club were deposited in the archive of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland where the club had held its meetings since 1881. In 1998 an additional accession of material was added to the collection. This material, including minute books, had originally formed part of the main archive but had become separated from the rest of the archive at some point.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴Donation
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Dublin Biological Club ↴
Papers of the Dublin Biological Club including a full set of minutes books from 1872 to 1974, with a run of attendance books covering the period 1878 to 1954. Collection also contains a small number of other records including members roll, club rules and a short history of the club written by its members.
Appraisal Destruction ↴Permanent Retention
Papers have been divided into nine sections by record type; Minute Books; Minutes of Council; Attendance Books; Members Roll; Session Cards; Incidental Expenses; Club Rules; An Account of the Biological Club and Glass Lantern Slides
Conditions of Access & Use
|Access subject to the conditions laid out in the Heritage Centre Access Guidelines
|Conditions Governing Reproduction
|Copying of archive material is subject to the conditions laid out in the Heritage Centre Copying Guidelines
|22 volumes + 3 boxes
|The collection list is available in the reading room or online Archive Web Link →
There are no Allied Materials
Descriptive Control Area
|ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000. IGAD: Irish Guidelines for Archival Description. Dublin: Society of Archivists, Ireland, 2009.National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997.
|Date of Descriptions