Judith Carroll and Company, Archaeological Consultants (11-13 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2), are a group of professional archaeologists based in Dublin but working countrywide. They offer a wide range of archaeological services to both public and private clients; carrying out excavations, assessments, trial testing and monitoring for developments of all scales. Judith Carroll and Co. have produced a number of publications including "Dublin city: sources for archaeologists" (2003) and reports on excavations at Balrothery, Co. Dublin (2008).Judith Carroll and Co. carry out archaeological investigations under the Planning and Development Acts (2000) and the National Monuments Acts and Amendments (1930-2004).
This collection encompasses a number of archaeological investigations carried out in Dublin city by Judith Carroll and Co. Ltd. in 2001 - 2002. It includes the following sites:
01E0241 - Hanbury Lane
The site, that of a proposed office extension on the corner of Hanbury Lane and St Catherine’s Lane West, consisted of a concreted open yard space with an upstanding building to the west. It is situated adjacent to St Catherine’s Church, which lies on the site of a parish church built by the monks of St Thomas’s Abbey in the late 12th century. Testing took place on 23 March 2001. Three test-trenches were opened by machine to an average depth of 2m. Beneath the concrete yard surface, layers of modern and post-medieval demolition rubble were revealed, comprised largely of red brick, mortar and stones. No material of archaeological significance was uncovered.
01E0335 - 3-4 Capel Street
The proposed development involves the restoration and redevelopment of Nos 3–4 Capel Street into two retail outlets with apartments in the upper storeys. Monitoring was required during ground reduction within the buildings and in the yard space to the rear.
Monitoring, conducted between 25 April and 10 May 2001, revealed natural subsoil at a depth of 1.4m beneath the basement floor. This was comprised of light brown, gritty clay, indicating that the site originally lay on dry land. A layer of grey alluvial silt overlying this demonstrated that the area was, however, subject to flooding from the River Liffey. This suggests that during the medieval period it was located on a narrow strip of land enclosing an inlet of the Liffey, as illustrated by Clarke and Simms’s reconstructed map of the period (1988). A layer of light brown silty clay with inclusions of crushed red brick and mortar overlay these deposits and represented primary post-medieval reclamation material. As the foundations of Capel Street were laid down between 1676 and 1678, this material must have been deposited before this as a layer of alluvial silt had accumulated on top of it.
The foundations of the upstanding building were constructed of large, mortar-bonded blocks of limestone. Later red brick cellaring was added at the rear of the building and the remains of a dumbwaiter were uncovered to the west of the building on the northern wall. This phase of monitoring was cut short owing to a structural instability that developed in the building during groundworks and necessitated temporary closure of the site. A second phase of monitoring did not reveal anything of archaeological significance.
Clarke, H. and Simms, A. 1988 Medieval Dublin 1170–c. 1560. Historic Dublin Maps. National Library, Dublin.
01E0465 - St. Mary's Crumlin
The site of a proposed residential development was located at the rear of a medieval church site, the site of a Norman motte and that of a ringwork. There are no remains of these sites visible at ground level. Testing was carried out between 9 and 10 June 2001. No archaeological finds, features or deposits were uncovered. Further testing was carried out in 2002, see Ref. No: 2002:0503 www.excavations.ie
02E1102 - 68-69 Talbot Street
Archaeological assessment and test-trenching. Reclamation deposits.
Unlicenced - Vicar Street
Desk-based archaeological assessment. Further to works carried out in 1997 (97E0380).
Archival History ↴
Transferred by Judith Carroll to Dublin City Archives 26 February 2014
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Judith Carroll and Co Ltd ↴
This collection contains archaeological records from sites in Dublin City excavated by Ruth Elliott , Judith Carroll and Stuart Halliday between 2001-2002. The collection consists of the records of five sites, 01E0241 Hanbury Lane; 01E0335 3-4 Capel Street; 01E0465 St. Mary’s, Crumlin; 02E1102 68-69 Talbot Street and unlicenced archaeological investigations at Vicar Street. Includes site records, administrative material, report, plans and photographs.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Arranged according to document type and by individual site.
Conditions of Access & Use
The collection will be made available for public research in February 2017, three years after the donation date. During the closure period the collection will be made available for research only to members of Judith Carroll and Co. Ltd. or to person/s nominated by them in writing and the Terms of Membership of DCLA, including photocopying charges, will apply to all such persons.
Conditions Governing Reproduction
The terms of the Copyright and Related Acts (2000) allows DCLA to provide photocopies of material for research purposes only. Researchers wishing to publish will be obliged to write to Judith Carroll and Co. Ltd. for permission to do so.
Level of Description
Material Language Script
Box list available on DCAA database in Dublin City Library and Archive Reading Room
Archive Web Link →