Administrative History ↴
Judith Carroll and Company, Archaeological Consultants (11-13 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2), are a group of professional archaeologists based in Dublin but working countrywide. They offer a wide range of archaeological services to both public and private clients; carrying out excavations, assessments, trial testing and monitoring for developments of all scales. Judith Carroll and Co. have produced a number of publications including "Dublin city: sources for archaeologists" (2003) and reports on excavations at Balrothery, Co. Dublin (2008). Judith Carroll and Co. carry out archaeological investigations under the Planning and Development Acts (2000) and the National Monuments Acts and Amendments (1930-2004).
This collection encompasses a number of archaeological investigations carried out in Dublin city by Judith Carroll and Co. Ltd. in 2003-2006. It includes the following sites:
01E0465 ext. - St. Mary's Church, Crumlin
Monitoring was carried out, in November 2007, under an extension to licence 01E0465, prior to the creation of new car parking facilities in the grounds of St Mary’s Church of Ireland church, St Mary’s Road, Crumlin, Dublin 12. The proposed development comprised two areas, one to the north and one to the south of the 1940s church. The site is located within DU018–038.
The 1837 OS map depicts a ringwork, c. 30m in diameter, situated on the site of the Church of Ireland church. By 1865 the ringwork is depicted as a small motte, suggesting that it had been reduced in size. The OS map of 1907 still shows the motte but by 1936 it had clearly been destroyed, with the site being designated ‘moat, site of’.
Although this area is located within the boundary of a recorded monument, topsoil-stripping in the area yielded no features or finds of archaeological significance.
02E1604 - Anglesea Mill, Anglesea Row
Trial testing took place on the site of the mill in June 2003. No archaeological finds or features came to light
03E0231 - 70-72 Talbot Street
Testing took place on the site in March 2003. No archaeological finds or features came to light.
03E0605 - 27-32 Talbot Street
Testing took place on the site in April 2003. No archaeological finds or features came to light.
04E0638 - St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra
Test-trenching was undertaken at the site of 'The Courtyard' in St Patrick's College, Drumcondra Road Upper, Dublin 3, on 7 and 8 May 2004. The site was within an enclosed courtyard area in the northern portion of the college, bounded to the north by the college kitchens, to the south by student facilities, to the east by the student common room and to the west by the dining hall. The development area is within the zone of constraint of SMR 18:12(01-02), a dwelling cluster site.
Two trenches were excavated. Trench 1 was 5m by 1m, orientated north-south. It was excavated by hand on to natural boulder clay and contained two distinguishable horizon deposits, neither of which was archaeological in nature. Trench 2 was a 5m by 1m L-shaped trench, again primarily orientated north-south but with an additional 1m annex on the southern end. This trench contained a number of horizons, none of which was archaeological.
04E0835 - Crumlin House, St, Teresa's Road, Crumlin
Development is proposed for Crumlin House and its grounds, which are presently owned by the Silesian fathers of St John Bosco. The site is situated to the south of Crumlin village, to the east of St Teresa's Road, from where it is currently accessed. It is bounded on the south and east by Stanaway Park and by residential houses on the north. The Crumlin House grounds were also tested in 2000 by Emer Dennehy (Excavations 2000, No. 232, 00E0933) and an architectural survey of the house was carried out.
The family associated with Crumlin House is the Catholic Purcell family, who were first mentioned, according to Francis Elrington Ball, as having been resident in Crumlin in the 16th century; in 1609 Edmund Purcell was leased land by the Church. Ball states that the Purcells were seated near the village until the last century and there is a tombstone in the village bearing inscriptions to a long line of the Purcell family. One of the inscriptions is to 'Ignatius Francis Purcell of Cromlyn House, Co. Dublin, Esqr., 14th August 1856'.
An assessment, including testing and geophysical survey, was carried out on the site in two phases - in June-July 2004 and October 2004. The October phase of testing was done on foot of the July geophysical survey, to supplement test anomalies shown up by it. Stone rubble, probably of a wall of post-medieval date, and a post-medieval pit came to light in the assessment. No other archaeological finds or features came to light; monitoring during development was recommended.
Ball, Francis Elrington, 1906 A history of the County Dublin. Volume IV. Dublin, 134-47.