Judith Carroll and Company, Archaeological Consultants (11-13 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2), are a group of professional archaeologists based in Dublin but working countrywide. They offer a wide range of archaeological services to both public and private clients; carrying out excavations, assessments, trial testing and monitoring for developments of all scales. Judith Carroll and Co. have produced a number of publications including "Dublin city: sources for archaeologists" (2003) and reports on excavations at Balrothery, Co. Dublin (2008). Judith Carroll and Co. carry out archaeological investigations under the Planning and Development Acts (2000) and the National Monuments Acts and Amendments (1930-2004).
The excavation at the rear of Nos. 63 and 64, Thomas Street, Dublin 8, took place from 20 July to 7 August 2009. Testing had revealed archaeological layers 1–1.5m below ground level. Because of the various construction methods, the archaeological impact differed between the northern two-thirds of the site and the southern third and the site was divided into two areas: Area 1, the northern, and Area 2, the southern area. In Area 1, it was found that there would be complete archaeological impact, but, in Area 2, piling would avoid impact over most areas. Full excavation therefore took place on Area 1, with monitoring during part of some of the construction work in Area 2. The site revealed part of a medieval tanning-pit complex in one of the city’s oldest quarters, outside the western gate of the medieval city. The site is very close to, and may be part of, the tannery complex found at Vicar Street immediately to the west of the site and is positioned just outside the southern precincts of the medieval hospital of the Fratres Crucifieri, which was founded by Aildred Palmer and his wife. Though the precise date of the founding of the hospital is unknown, it had been established and at work for some time before 1188. The medieval street, Thomas Street, would have separated the tannery from the hospital.
Excavation of the site revealed a complex of tanning pits, most of which were wood-lined. Medieval pottery and leather shoes along with waste fragments of leather were recovered from the pits.
Archival History ↴
Transferred by Judith Carroll to Dublin City Archives 26 February 2014
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Judith Carroll and Co Ltd ↴
This collection contains archaeological excavation records from a site at 63 – 64 Thomas Street, Dublin 8, excavated by Judith Carroll. Includes context sheets, registers, administrative material, finds lists, a report, plans and 7 CDs containing excavation photographs.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Arranged according to document type.
Conditions of Access & Use
The collection will be made available for public research in February 2017, three years after the donation date. During the closure period the collection will be made available for research only to members of Judith Carroll and Co. Ltd. or to person/s nominated by them in writing and the Terms of Membership of DCLA, including photocopying charges, will apply to all such persons.
Conditions Governing Reproduction
The terms of the Copyright and Related Acts (2000) allows DCLA to provide photocopies of material for research purposes only. Researchers wishing to publish will be obliged to write to Judith Carroll and Co. Ltd. for permission to do so.
6 folders; plans; 7 CDs
Material Language Script
Box list available on DCAA database in Dublin City Library and Archive Reading Room
Archive Web Link →
Database of Irish Excavations Reports, www.excavations.ie.
Descriptive Control Area
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.