Creator(s): Dundalk, Carlingford, Castlebellingham, Jonesboro’, and Omeath Presbyterian Churches
Administrative History ↴
Dundalk is reputed to be the second place in Ireland in which a Presbyterian Church was formally constituted. In 1655 Henry Cromwell, commander of the army, brought with him to Ireland several Independent ministers who settled in the principal towns. One of these was a Joseph Bowesfield, the first non-Episcopal minister associated with Dundalk. It is thought that the first congregation was probably Independent at first before adopting the Presbyterian form.
About 1700, the Rev John Wilson took charge of the joint congregations of Dundalk and Carlingford and in 1707 the Presbyterians in Dundalk sought and achieved separate congregational status. The founders of Presbyterianism in the Dundalk district were Malcolm and Archibald MacNeill, officers in the Williamite army. Malcolm MacNeill pressed the claims of Dundalk upon the General Synod. He built a church at Ballymascanlon, while a meeting house was built in Linenhall Street, Dundalk by Archibald MacNeill in about 1700 and continued in use until 1839 when it was replaced by the church in Jocelyn Street. In 1863 a school was added near the location of this church and this was followed in 1865 by the construction of a teacher’s residence. The school was later extended in 1893 and is still in use today.
When Castlebellingham became vacant of a minister in 1926, the minister of Dundalk Presbyterian Church, Rev James Moody yielded control of Jonesboro’ which he was in charge of for the previous ten years and assumed the joint pastorate of Dundalk and Castlebellingham.
Archival History ↴
This collection of papers was given to and deposited with Louth County Archives Service in several accessions between November 2002 and June 2005 by the Louth Archaeological and Historical Society and by private donation. The original accession numbers are: P/00075 (7 items contained in PP00075/001/); P/00082 (PP00075/002/001 – 002); P/00108 (PP00075/001/002); P/00133 (PP00075/001/009); P/00144 (remaining items in PP00075/002/, and items in PP00075/003/ – PP00075/007/).
This collection contains records for the Dundalk and Carlingford Presbyterian Churches from the mid-19th–mid-20th centuries. Members from Omeath are included in records of Carlingford Church in the late 19thcentury (PP00075/001/005 –006) and members in Greenore district are included for the years 1870 –1902 (PP00075/001/006). It also contains a book listing communicants in Castlebellingham Presbyterian Church from 1883–1917 and in Jonesboro’ Presbyterian Church from 1887 –1915 (PP00075/001/007/). For the Dundalk Presbyterian Church there are accounts for the collection of money, 1831-39, 1855-64; a Communicants’ roll book, 1856-1890; a minute book of the Church committee, 1891-1917; correspondence in relation to Church Committee Business, 1899-1914; correspondence regarding the Church organ, 1908-1912; accounts and funding, 1908-1912; committee resolutions, 1914; correspondence regarding the position of church sexton, 1915-1916; resolutions and finances of the Church committee, 1907-11; and correspondence and documents in relation to the building, fitting out and maintenance of Dundalgan (Dundalk)National School, (1887), 1889-1893,1934-1948, 1956-1959; and a booklet dating to 1991 produced in commemoration of the centenary of Dundalgan National School 1881-1891.There is also an historical sketch of the congregation of Dundalk Presbyterian Church from 1655-1939, written by Reverend James Moody in 1940. For Carlingford Presbyterian Church, there is a minute book of the Committee, 1869-1894; and Communion rolls and a list of stipend payers, 1869-1934.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Further accruals may be expected.
The collection is arranged by subject themes and then chronologically.
Conditions of Access & Use
Access is by appointment, and subject to restricted access
Conditions Governing Reproduction
Copying is subject to copyright and physical condition.
(1655-), 1831–1839, 1855–1949, 1956-1959, c1991
1 archival box containing 165 items
Material Language Script
Characteristics Tech Req
Paper. Fair - good condition. Careful handling required.
Descriptive list can be found on on-line catalogue and on Archive Collections webpage both available at http://www.louthcoco.ie
Archive Web Link →
Louth County Archives Service
Some digitised documents may occasionally be found on http://www.louthcoco.ie
IE LHA: SCH001/ Dun Dealgan National School, 1863 – 1985
IE LHA: SCH004/ Plaster National School, 1888 – 1936
Descriptive Control Area
Robert McEvoy, July 2007; revised by Lorraine McCann, August 2013
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.
Date of Descriptions
July 2007; August 2013