Emmetts Rowing Club Team

Repository: Galway County Council Archives

Identity Statement

TitleEmmetts Rowing Club Team
Archive ReferenceIE GCCA GS09/01
Web Link to this Entryhttps://iar.ie/archive/emmetts-rowing-club-team
Creation Dates1929
Extent Medium2 photographs


Creator(s): Emmetts Rowing Club

  • Administrative History ↴

    Emmetts Rowing Club from Meno, Galway brought the first Irish Amateur Rowing Union's (IARU) senior eights championship trophy (the Blue Riband of Irish rowing) to Galway in 1929, at the Galway Regatta, when they first beat Limerick RC and Galway RC in their heat. They then proceed to beat Trinity in the final. Emmetts also won the championship in 1931. In 1988 a plaque to the two crews was unveiled at Menlo Pier.
  • Archival History ↴

    Brothers of St. Patrick were founded in the town of Tullow, Co. Carlow, on 2nd February 1808. Because there was no Catholic Intermediate School for boys in Galway city Bishop John McEvilly asked Bro. Paul to open such a school and St. Joseph's Seminary was established at Nuns' Island in 1862. Because of the bishop's close connection and active support the Seminary was generally referred to as "the bishop's school" and to this day is known in the city and county as "The Bish." The Patrician's Brothers College, commonly called the 'Bish' acquired its own clubhouse in 1955, with the old Emmetts club donating their existing premises to be used by the developing school club. The photographs were found in the clubhouse and passed to the Order's archives. In 2009 their resident archivist donated as a gift two photographs to Galway County Council Archives.
  • Immediate Source Acquisition ↴


Content & Structure

  • Scope & Content: Emmetts Rowing Club ↴

    Two black & white photographs of the Menlo, Galway, based rowing team.

    (a) Formal full-length black & white mounted photograph of Emmetts Rowing Club senior eights crew, attired in their sports clothes, with 6 large trophies resting on the floor at their feet. All but the man in the middle are standing with folded arms, he has his hands resting on the largest trophy.
    Left to right Michael Faherty (2); Malachy Wards, bow; J Donnell (5); Mike Ward (6); [Denis] Hickey, cos; T Savage (3); M Connell (7); M Lawless, stroke; John Faherty (4).

    (b) Black & white photograph of a rowing eights crew in gentle motion on the water with landscaped area in the back round.

  • Appraisal Destruction ↴

    Permanent Retention
  • Arrangement ↴

    One item only – no arrangement applicable

Conditions of Access & Use

Creation Dates1929
Extent Medium2 photographs
Characteristics Tech ReqPhotographs Fading and mount foxing, also some water stains.
Finding Aids Small collections guide Archive Web Link →

Allied Materials

There are no Allied Materials


NoteInformation taken from "The Essential History Of St Joseph’s College Rowing Club – 1932 - 1995", Mike McCrohan

Descriptive Control Area

Archivist NotePatria McWalter
Rules/ConventionsISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.
Date of Descriptions2009