General letters to the College Council from staff, students and external bodies such as government, educational establishments

Repository: UCC University Archives Service

Identity Statement

TitleGeneral letters to the College Council from staff, students and external bodies such as government, educational establishments
Archive ReferenceIE UC/CG
Web Link to this Entry
Creation Dates1845-1919
Extent Medium5341 items


Creator(s): Queen’s College Cork University College Cork

  • Administrative History ↴

    The letters cover various aspects of administrative and academic affairs of Queen’s College Cork. Letters received were presented and discussed at College Council meetings and decisions taken at that level. The collections held in the university archives reflect the evolution of the college since its beginnings in 1849. When University College Cork was founded in 1849 it was originally known as Queen’s College Cork (QCC) and it was established along with its sister colleges in Belfast and Galway. The Board of Queens Colleges consisting of the Presidents and Vice Presidents of the three colleges arranged the system of education and statutes. Initially, degrees were conferred in the faculties of arts, law and medicine. In 1908 under the Irish Universities Act, two new universities – the National University of Ireland and the Queen’s University of Belfast were established and a new charter was issued in December 2nd 1908 changing the name of Queen’s College Cork to University College Cork (UCC).
  • Archival History ↴

    Transferred to the University Archives when it was established in the 1980s.
  • Immediate Source Acquisition ↴

    Official Transfer

Content & Structure

  • Scope & Content: Queen’s College Cork University College Cork ↴

    The handwritten letters were originally in letter books which underwent conservation in the 1980s and 1990s and were then separated out into individual items. The letters include requests and decisions on all aspects of academic, administrative, financial affairs of the college from its beginnings in 1845 into the 20th century when QCC became UCC.

  • Appraisal Destruction ↴

    Permanent Retention
  • Arrangement ↴

    The collection is arranged as follows:
    IE/UC/COUNCIL/01-IE/UC/COUNCIL/03 – General letters to the College Council from College Officers, students and clubs & societies
    IE/UC/COUNCIL/04 – IE/UC/COUNCIL/26 – Letters to the College Council from the President of the college, staff, students, Office of Public Works, Queen’s University of Ireland, Royal University of Ireland, Royal College of Surgeons, civic bodies, and businesses

Conditions of Access & Use

Access Conditions Access is available on request, depending on the condition of the original, contact University Archivist, UCC.
Conditions Governing ReproductionNo material may be reproduced without the permission of the Archivist and reproductions are subject to the conditions of access.
Creation Dates1845-1919
Extent Medium5341 items
Material Language ScriptEnglish
Finding Aids MS Access database available to researchers in the reading room. Archive Web Link →

Allied Materials

Publication NoteProfessor John A Murphy 'The College – A History of Queen’s / University College Cork', 1995.

Descriptive Control Area

Archivist NoteCatriona Mulcahy
Rules/ConventionsISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000. National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997.
Date of Descriptions41671