Jacob’s Biscuit Factory Archive

Repository: Dublin City Archives

Identity Statement

TitleJacob's Biscuit Factory Archive
Archive ReferenceIE DCLA/JAC
Web Link to this Entryhttps://iar.ie/archive/jacobs-biscuit-factory-archive
Creation Dates1861-2010
Extent Medium330 archive boxes. Catalogue contains 3358 entries. Collection is a combination of paper records, photographic material, audio-visual material (video; audio cassette; audio magnetic tape), ephemera (posters etc.) and artefacts

Context

Creator(s): Jacob's Fruitfield; Douglas Appleyard

  • Administrative History ↴

    The foundation of W. & R. Jacob & Co. Ltd. can be traced back to the early nineteenth century, when Isaac Thomas Jacob owned and operated a bread, sea biscuit bakery and barm brewery in Waterford. It was in 1850 that Isaac’s sons, William eale Jacob and Robert Jacob decided to enter the fancy biscuit business and felt it necessary to acquire new premises for the business at No.69, The Quay, Waterford. 1 On 29th June 1851, with a view to a greater extension of the business the firm decided to rent the premises at 5 and 6 Peters Row, Dublin, a former coach house for £386 a year on a 50 year lease from 29th September 19512. Interestingly Mr. Dodgson, author of Alice in Wonderland is purported to have been one of the landlords and his interest was bought up3. Robert Jacob died on 13th October 1861 at the age of 30 years, having drowned near Tramore, Waterford. However William never forgot his brother and the firm continued to be known as W. and R. Jacob & o. Ltd., ensuring his brother’s name continued to be associated with the firm. The business suffered in consequence for a time-however William Frederick ewley, of ewley’s cafe, later joined the firm in 1864 and thus began a long relationship of the ewley’s interest in the firm.4(Put in small bit about different mergers, ownership etc.
  • Archival History ↴

    The Jacob’s Factory Biscuit collection was acquired by Dublin City Library and Archive from Valeo Foods, the parent company of Jacob’s Biscuit Factory in 2012. Douglas Appleyard, a former employee, facilitated the transfer of the collection and was very instrumental in undertaking a lot of provisional work in relation to box listing and general preservation of the material.
  • Immediate Source Acquisition ↴

    Donation

Content & Structure

  • Scope & Content: Jacob's Fruitfield; Douglas Appleyard ↴

    Contains a wide range of records, relating to over 150 years of biscuit making in Dublin. Like the Guinness brewery, the Jacob’s Biscuit Factory was an integral part of the lives of thousands of Dubliners, as well as those that cameto the city in search of employment. The collection spans over 250 years, containing documents ranging from a conveyance dated 1763, to the Dublin firm’s first stock account book of 1853, to more modern records material from 2010. Jacob’s at its peak had thousands of Irish men and women working at its factory in Dublin, and later in its overseas UK
    depots and Liverpool factory. The collection tracks the growth of a successful Irish enterprise from the mid-19th Century to the beginning of the millennium.

  • Appraisal Destruction ↴

    Permanent Retention
  • Accruals ↴

    No accruals are expected
  • Arrangement ↴

    The Jacob’s Biscuit Factory collection has been arranged in eleven series. Each series is represented in the reference codes as DCLA/JAC/01 – DCLA/JAC/10 and JAC/ART (artefacts)

Conditions of Access & Use

Access Conditions Available to view by the public who apply for a research card in Dublin City Library and Archive Reading Room, 138- 144 Pearse Street, Dublin. The collection is partly closed i.e. some parts of the collection are not publically available. This conforms to Data Protection legislation and Section 8 (b) of the National Archives Act 1986
Conditions Governing ReproductionSubject to Dublin City Library and Archive Reading Room Terms of membership and in accordance with copyright legislation.
Creation Dates1861-2010
Extent Medium330 archive boxes. Catalogue contains 3358 entries. Collection is a combination of paper records, photographic material, audio-visual material (video; audio cassette; audio magnetic tape), ephemera (posters etc.) and artefacts
Material Language ScriptEnglish; French; Irish
Characteristics Tech ReqCollection is a combination of paper records, photographic material, audio-visual material (video; audio cassette; audio magnetic tape), ephemera (posters etc.) and artefacts. Specialist equipment needed to view audio-visual material (VHS videos; audio cassettes; magnetic tape cassettes)
Finding Aids Descriptive List is available at https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RecreationandCulture/libraries/Heritage%20and%20History/Dublin%20City%20Archives/private_collections/Documents/2015_DCLA_Jacobs_CLD.pdf Archive Web Link →

Allied Materials

There are no Allied Materials

Descriptive Control Area

Archivist NoteLisa McCarthy; Suzanne Bedell; Gerard Byrne
Rules/ConventionsIGAD: Irish Guidelines for Archival Description. Dublin: Society of Archivists, Ireland, 2009. ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000.
Date of Descriptions2015