Letters to the academic departments from staff, students, educational establishments and outside agencies and businesses

Repository: UCC University Archives Service

Identity Statement

TitleLetters to the academic departments from staff, students, educational establishments and outside agencies and businesses
Archive ReferenceIE UC/AA
Web Link to this Entryhttps://iar.ie/archive/letters-academic-departments-from-staff-students-educional-establishments
Creation Dates1856-1919
Extent Medium202 items


Creator(s): Queen’s College Cork University College Cork

  • Administrative History ↴

    The letters cover various aspects of academic affairs of Queen’s College Cork and University College Cork. The collections held in the university archives reflect the evolution of the college since its beginnings in 1849. When University College Cork was founded in 1849 it was originally known as Queen’s College Cork (QCC) and it was established along with its sister colleges in Belfast and Galway. The Board of Queens Colleges consisting of the Presidents and Vice Presidents of the three colleges arranged the system of education and statutes. Initially, degrees were conferred in the faculties of arts, law and medicine. In 1908 under the Irish Universities Act, two new universities – the National University of Ireland and the Queen’s University of Belfast were established and a new charter was issued in December 2nd 1908 changing the name of Queen’s College Cork to University College Cork (UCC).
  • Archival History ↴

    Transferred to the University Archives when it was established in the 1980s.
  • Immediate Source Acquisition ↴

    Official Transfer

Content & Structure

  • Scope & Content: Queen’s College Cork University College Cork ↴

    The letters were originally in letter books which underwent conservation in the 1980s and 1990s and were then separated out into individual items. The letters include requests and decisions on all aspects of academic, of the college from its beginnings in 1845 into the 20th century when QCC became UCC.

  • Appraisal Destruction ↴

    Permanent Retention
  • Arrangement ↴

    This collection is arranged as follows:
    Letters to Professor John England (Professor of Physics / Natural Philosophy, QCC/UCC) from Howard Grubb (designer of the Crawford Observatory, UCC and its instruments); includes photographs of the moon taken from the observatory, material from the Cork Scientific Association and Department of Physics letters.
    IE/UC/ACADEMIC/02 – Letter to Professor Stockley (Professor of English, QCC/UCC) from staff and businesses
    IE/UC/ACADEMIC/03 – IE/UC/ACADEMIC/05 – Letters to professors from other educational establishments.

Conditions of Access & Use

Access Conditions Access is available on request, depending on the condition of the original, contact University Archivist, UCC.
Conditions Governing ReproductionNo material may be reproduced without the permission of the Archivist and reproductions are subject to the conditions of access.
Creation Dates1856-1919
Extent Medium202 items
Material Language ScriptEnglish
Finding Aids MS Access database available to researchers in the reading room. Archive Web Link →

Allied Materials

Publication NoteProfessor John A Murphy 'The College – A History of Queen’s / University College Cork', 1995.

Descriptive Control Area

Archivist NoteCatriona Mulcahy
Rules/ConventionsISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000. National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997.
Date of Descriptions41671