Letterkenny Urban District Council was established under the 1898 Local Government (Ireland) Act, 1898. Its remit included local housing, the development of water and sewerage facilities, road building and road repair in its area, rates and the electoral register. The Urban District Councils and Town Commissioners became Town Councils in 2002.
Archival History ↴
Letterkenny Urban District Council archives were held at the Council's offices until the County Archives acquired them in 2005.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Letterkenny Urban District Council ↴
The collection of Letterkenny Urban District Council is a detailed record of the day to day activities of the Council from its inception in 1899. Included in this collection are the minutes of the Lighting and Water Committee from 1899 to 1903 (UDC/1/1/1) and the minutes of the Urban District Council from 1903 to 1991 (UDC/1/1/2 – UDC/1/1/26). Also included in this substantial collection are manager’s orders from 1943 to 1995 (UDC/1/2/1 – UDC/1/2/29), rate books from 1955 to 1991 (UDC/1/3/1- UDC/1/3/33), Financial documents from 1900 to 1991 (UDC/1/4 and UDC/1/5); and a number of other items.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Arranged by minutes, manager’s orders, finance,
Conditions of Access & Use
Full access except to any sensitive or private material.
Conditions Governing Reproduction
Bound volumes cannot be photocopied. Digitisation permitted in certain circumstances.