The townland of Plaster is located north of Dundalk in Ballymascanlon parish. It lies to the east of Faughart Upper townland. Plaster national school’s roll number was 13731, district 25. In the mid-19th century there were more than 300 Presbyterians in the Ballymascanlon area. In the daily report book in this collection (SCH004/REP1) dated 1932-1936, it is stated that the school was founded in 1830, the date they moved into the current school was 1st August 1888 and the date it became a national school was 1st November 1888, the site is non-vested, local contributions built the school, there is no school committee and it is managed by the Reverend James Moody of the Manse, Dundalk. According to the Commissioners of Irish Education Inquiry Report 1825, there was a pay school in Upper Plaster run by John McAllister with a total of 13 children (p17, Harold O’Sullivan ‘The Emergence of the National System of Education in North County Louth’, Journal of CLAHS, Vol 18, No 1, 1973). See also the ‘Department of Education: National school teacher salary books’, 1834-1965, reference ED/4 in the National Archives of Ireland.
Archival History ↴
This collection was donated by Eileen Jordan, school principal, Dun Dealgan National School, Dundalk to Louth County Archives Service in 2002. It was found amongst the Dun Dealgan national school archive collection.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Plaster National School ↴
This collection consists of four items: two roll books for male and females dating from 1888 to the 1930s; a roll book from 1925–1936; and a daily report book from 1932–1936.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Further accruals may be expected.
The collection is arranged by record type.
Conditions of Access & Use
Access is by appointment, and subject to restricted access
Conditions Governing Reproduction
Copying is subject to copyright and physical condition.
Material Language Script
Characteristics Tech Req
Bound volumes. Fair – good condition. Careful handling required.
Descriptive list can be found on on-line catalogue and on Archive Collections webpage available at http://www.louthcoco.ie
Archive Web Link →
Louth County Archives Service
Some digitised documents may occasionally be found on http://www.louthcoco.ie
IE LHA: SCH001/ Dun Dealgan National School, 1863 - 1985
IE LHA: PP00075/ Dundalk and Carlingford Presbyterian Church Records, (1655-), 1831 – 1839, 1855 – 1949, 1956 - 1959, c.1991
O’Sullivan, Harold, ‘The Emergence of the National System of Education in North County Louth’, (Journal of CLAHS, Vol 18, No 1, 1973, p17)
Descriptive Control Area
Lorraine Buchanan, 2007
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.