|Title||Queen’s College Cork & University College Cork Student Registers|
|Archive Reference||IE UC/RO/SR|
|Web Link to this Entry||https://iar.ie/archive/queens-college-cork-university-college-cork-student-registers|
|Extent Medium||14 volumes|
Creator(s): Queen’s College Cork University College Cork
Administrative History ↴The collections held in the university archives reflect the evolution of the college since its beginnings in 1849. When University College Cork was founded in 1849 it was originally known as Queen’s College Cork (QCC) and it was established along with its sister colleges in Belfast and Galway. The Board of Queens Colleges consisting of the Presidents and Vice Presidents of the three colleges arranged the system of education and statutes. Initially, degrees were conferred in the faculties of arts, law and medicine. In 1908 under the Irish Universities Act, two new universities – the National University of Ireland and the Queen’s University of Belfast were established and a new charter was issued in December 2nd 1908 changing the name of Queen’s College Cork to University College Cork (UCC).
Archival History ↴Transferred to the University Archives when it was established in the 1980s.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴Official Transfer
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Queen’s College Cork University College Cork ↴
The student registers of Queen’s College Cork and University College Cork record the students who registered for each year of study. The volumes are organised in column form with the name, age, place of birth, religion, parents names, address, details of guardian, faculty, matriculation details listed. Not all columns are completed for each student and generally the most information is recorded for first year students. They also list post graduate students and occasionally students who attended evening courses. These information on students in these registers can be cross checked by the College Calendars which list students and graduates from c. 1880s – c. 1950. The calendars are available to view in University Archives, UCC and also in Special Collections, Boole Library, UCC.
Appraisal Destruction ↴Permanent Retention
The collection is arranged chronologically.
Conditions of Access & Use
|Access Conditions||Access to material over 80 years old is available on request, depending on the condition of the original, contact University Archivist, UCC. The entries relating to the first year students from 1849 – 1909 have been put on a database which is available to search at the Archives office, UCC and this database also includes information on whether or not a student graduated.|
|Conditions Governing Reproduction||No material may be reproduced without the permission of the Archivist and reproductions are subject to the conditions of access.|
|Extent Medium||14 volumes|
|Material Language Script||English|
|Finding Aids||An MS Access database is available covering years 1849 - 1909 Archive Web Link →|
There are no Allied Materials
Descriptive Control Area
|Archivist Note||Catriona Mulcahy|
|Rules/Conventions||ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000. National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997.|
|Date of Descriptions||41671|