Creator(s): South Tipperary County Council formerly Tipperary South Riding County Council
Administrative History ↴
Under the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898, the Grand Juries were abolished and replaced with County, Urban and Rural District Councils. The County Councils were to take on all local government duties discharged by the Grand Jury. The Rural District Council would have responsibility for public works, public health and labourers cottages until their abolition in 1925 when their functions were taken over by the County Councils. The Urban district councils took charge of health and housing in urban areas. The Boards of Guardians retained control of poor relief, workhouse hospitals and dispensaries until these functions were transferred to the Boards of Health and Public Assistance in 1925 and remained until 1942 when they were taken over by the Council. These councils were to be elected by an electorate that was made up of male and female ratepayers, non rate paying male occupiers and lodgers. All eligible voters could stand for election. The last meeting of the Grand Jury took place in the Courthouse in Clonmel on 4 March 1899. The first election of members to the new Council took place on 6 April 1899 and 57 candidates were put forward for 23 seats. As well as elected members the Council was also made up of those elected Chairmen of the Rural District Councils of Clonmel, Cashel, Carrick on Suir, Clogheen, Gortnahoe, Slieveardagh and Tipperary, 3 representatives of the Grand Jury and 2 co-opted by the Council. The first meeting of the County Council took place on 22 April 1899 in Clonmel Courthouse. Edward Cummins was elected first Chairman. One of the first resolutions of the Council was to call for Home Rule for Ireland. The Council was dissolved in 1934 and between 1934 and 1942 the affairs of the Council were run by a Commissioner Patrick J Meghen. The County Management Act 1940 saw the appointment of a County Manager who was initially appointed as Manager of North and South Tipperary County Councils, provision was also made to have an Assistant County Manager like Dublin and Cork as the county had 2 councils and 7 urban authorities. A ministerial order brought an end to the single County Manager for both councils with effect from 1 April 1969. The minutes through the years reflect the changes that have taken place in the structure and the functions of the Council.
Archival History ↴
The earlier parts of this series were originally collected by the County Museum in Clonmel in two instalments. They acquired 1899 – 1952 in 1984 and 1952 – 1985 in 1991. An Archive service was established permanently in 2000 and it was to the Archives volumes 1985 – 2006 were deposited on a phased basis by Corporate Affairs. In 2011 the County Museum de-accessioned a number of items to the County Archives which included its collection of South Tipperary County Council Minute Books.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: South Tipperary County Council formerly Tipperary South Riding County Council ↴
Minutes record proceedings of the County Council meetings including members in attendance, guests (where applicable) and details decisions and resolutions taken by the Council. It also details the election of Chairmen/Cathaoirleach as well as Vice Chairman/Leas Cathaoirleach and appointments of councillors to various committees and boards in the council and outside. Meetings were initially held on a quarterly basis to begin with before eventually being held monthly which is the practice today. In the majority of volumes proceedings of various committees are included as well as any special meetings of the council which occur from time to time. The collection is complete from 1899 to 2006. The Minute book for 1920 IE STCA/1/1/10 however, contains only the minutes for one meeting held on 29 September 1920, and while it also contains the proceedings of the committees it is not signed. The subsequent book IE STCA/1/1/11 includes the September minutes and first item in the November meeting relates to the removal of a number of items including two minute books from the secretary’s office by the R.I.C. During the period of Commissioner Meghen minutes were kept as normal but without the inclusion of committees’ proceedings; these were kept with minutes and orders in folders, so for every volume of minutes there is a corresponding folder or part of a folder. The minutes kept by the Commissioner deal purely with the business of the Council and do not comment on issues of local/national interest or indeed international significance which was the case with the Councillors.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Conditions of Access & Use
By appointment to holders of a current reader’s ticket
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottawa: International Council on Archives, 2000.
IGAD: Irish Guidelines for Archival Description. Dublin: Society of Archivists, Ireland, 2009.