In 1883 the trustees of the Catholic University leased to the Society of Jesus the University buildings of 84, 85 and 86 St. Stephen’s Green which were given the new name of University College, Dublin. In 1908 the National University of Ireland came into existence and with that, the Jesuit community left St. Stephen’s Green for a new residence at Lower Leeson Street in 1909. Known as St Ignatius House of Writers since 1952, previously the house saw itself as a Collegiun Inchoatum, a burgeoning college of the National University. Many of the Jesuits who lived in the house taught at University College Dublin.
The Jesuit journal 'Studies: An Irish Quarterly Review', 'the devotional magazine 'The Sacred Heart Messenger' and the Irish language equivalent, 'An Timire', are published from Lower Leeson Street.
University Hall, also known as Hatch Hall, was a student hall of residence at Lower Hatch Street, Dublin. Founded by the Jesuits in 1913, for third level male students studying in Dublin, it was under the administration of the Superior of 35 Lower Leeson Street until 1975. It closed in 2004.
The Irish Jesuit Archives has been located at Lower Leeson Street since 1958 when it moved from Upper Gardiner Street.
Archival History ↴
Material deposited in Lower Leeson Street. Material was catalogued in 1999, with some additions in 2009 and 2013.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Irish Jesuits ↴
The papers of St Ignatius House of Writers, Lower Leeson Street deal with the interior and exterior of the buildings, renovations, deeds, domestic and Jesuit community matters and finance. For University Hall, the material relates to bequests, property issues, stained glass, examinations and accounts. There is a small amount of material on Studies, the Sacred Heart Messenger and An Timire. The material is mainly in the form of letters, ledgers, architectural plans, maps and photographs.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
All items retained permanently
Contact Irish Jesuit Archives Service for information
Conditions of Access & Use
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: www.jesuitarchives.ie
Conditions Governing Reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
IE IJA/UNIV Catholic University of Ireland and University College, Dublin
IE IJA/ADMN/27 Studies & An Timire
IE IJA/IMO Irish Messenger Office
IE UCDA CU The Catholic University, University College Dublin
'The Jesuits on Leeson Street 1910-2010', Messenger Publications, 2010.
‘University Hall Jubilee’, Jesuit Year Book, pp44-51, 1933.
‘University Hall: Diamond Jubilee’, Jesuit Year Book, pp40-43, 1973.
'An Irish Century: Studies 1912-2012', Professor Bryan Fanning (editor), UCD Press, 2012.
'An Chullacht Léannta: Ceiliúradh ar Iosánaigh agus Léann na Gaelige', F Mac Brádaigh SJ (Eag.), FÁS, 2013.
'Timire an Chroí Ró-naofa', Eag: F Alan Mac Eochagáin SJ, Fómhar 2011.
Descriptive Control Area
IGAD: Irish Guidelines for Archival Description. Dublin: Society of Archivists, Ireland, 2009.
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000.
National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives,
1997.Irish Guidelines for Indexing Archives. Dublin: Archives and Records Association, Ireland, 2013.
Date of Descriptions