St Nicholas National School was established on the site of the former Wellington Place School (Wellington Hall), in St Mary’s Road, Dundalk, after the lease was handed over to Lord Roden (who had provided the site). Wellington Place School, formerly known as the “Free School” (Dundalk’s first public school), had been an Erasmus Smith foundation erected in 1812. In 1883, Lord Roden conveyed the site and buildings of the former school to the Church of Ireland authorities, who then converted it into a national school and named it St Nicholas. In 1900, the school was reconstructed. A Church of Ireland school for infants operated in Church Lane. St Nicholas National School ceased operating out of Wellington Hall in 1961 when the school was relocated to a site on St Nicholas Street. The Wellington Hall site then became a community facility for the parish of St Nicholas (Church of Ireland) and the wider community.
Archival History ↴
In 2004, Noel Ross notified Louth County Archives Service of this collection being stored in Wellington Hall and as refurbishment was pending, it was transferred to the County Archives for permanent preservation.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: St Nicholas National School ↴
This collection contains several series of roll books, registers and report books for boys and girls of St Nicholas National School, Dundalk. There is also a file containing circulars from the Department of Education and inspectors’ reports (SCH003/003) in addition to a number of individual items such as observation books, several copy/composition books, and a scheme of work and monthly progress record of Robert F Bennet, teacher (SCH003/010). The collection is subject to restricted access.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Further accruals may be expected.
The collection is arranged by record type and then chronologically.
Conditions of Access & Use
Access is by appointment, and subject to restricted access
Conditions Governing Reproduction
Copying is subject to copyright and physical condition.