The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.
Archival History ↴
Material collected by Irish Jesuits.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Irish Jesuits ↴
The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).
Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).
Appraisal Destruction ↴
All items retained permanently
Material was catalogued in 1999, with some additions in 2004, 2006, and 2013.
Conditions of Access & Use
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: www.jesuitarchives.ie
Conditions Governing Reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Clongowes Wood College maintains its own archives. Contact: Clongowes Wood College, Clane, county Kildare.
Corcoran, Fr Timothy SJ, 'The Clongowes record, 1814 to 1932: with introductory chapters on Irish Jesuit educators, 1564 to 1813', Dublin: Browne and Nolan, 1932.
Costello, Peter. 'Clongowes Wood: A history of Clongowes Wood College 1814-1989', Dublin: Gill and MacMillan, 1989.
School lists of Clongowes Wood College, 1814-1931, and St. Stanislaus' College, Tullabeg, 1818-86.
Finegan SJ, Fr Frank, ‘Tullabeg (Rahan) 1818-1968’, Jesuit Year Book, 1969, pp5-24.
Grene, Fr John SJ, ‘A contribution towards a history of the Irish Province of the Society of Jesus, Memorials of the Irish Province, S. J. Centenary Year 1814-1914', parts I & II. Dublin: O'Brien & Ards, 1914.
Laheen, Fr Kevin A SJ,
'The Jesuits in Tullabeg: The Early Years From Mission 1810 to Province 1860', O’Brien Publications, 2007.
'The Jesuits in Tullabeg: A Century of Service 1814-1914', O’Brien Publications 2009.
'The Jesuits at Tullabeg 1817-1991: The Final Curtain 1991', O’Brien Publications, 2010.
Nerney, Fr Denis SJ (ed.), 'Notes on the history of the Tullabeg district'.
'St. Stanislaus' College, Tullabeg, King's County : a college (1818 to 1886); Noviceship and House of Studies (since 1888) of the Irish Province of the Society of Jesus', Society of Jesus, 1910.
Wrafter, Sister Oliver, 'Rahan Look Back', Naas: Leinster Leader, 1989.
Descriptive Control Area
IGAD: Irish Guidelines for Archival Description. Dublin: Society of Archivists, Ireland, 2009.
ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd ed. Ottowa: International Council on Archives, 2000.
National Council on Archives: Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names. Chippenham: National Council on Archives, 1997. Irish Guidelines for Indexing Archives. Dublin: Archives and Records Association, Ireland, 2013