Creator(s): Wide Streets Commission/Dublin City Assembly
Administrative History ↴
Maps were commissioned by the Wide Streets Commission between 1757-1851 from land-surveyors and cartographers including Jonathan Barker, A.R. Neville, John Roe, Thomas and David Henry Sherrard and Samuel Sproule. Collection includes maps produced 1681-1750 by Dublin City Surveyors for Dublin City Assembly, relating to property purchased by Wide Streets Commission
Archival History ↴
The Wide Streets Commission’s records were transferred to Dublin City Council in 1851 and were placed in the Royal Exchange, which had just been purchased to serve as Dublin’s City Hall. In 1954, Dublin City Council transferred most of the Commission’s archives, including the map collection, on long-term loan to the Public Record Office of Ireland. Returned to Dublin’s City Hall in 1982 and placed in custody of Dublin City Archives. Stored at Dublin Civic Museum, 1995-2002; transferred to Dublin City Library & Archive, 2003. Conservation programme commenced 1988.
Immediate Source Acquisition ↴
Content & Structure
Scope & Content: Wide Streets Commission/Dublin City Assembly ↴
Manuscript maps documenting every aspect of the Wide Streets Commission’s work (1758-1851) including acquisition of property; development plans; and layout of new streets. Geographically, most maps relate to the area between the Grand and Royal Canals. Maps relating to lands purchased by Wide Streets Commission from Dublin City Assembly includes property in county Dublin.
Appraisal Destruction ↴
Maps were arranged in 1892 by J.P. McEvoy, Town Clerk’s Office, Dublin City Council. Maps were grouped together on a street-by-street basis, sequenced alphabetically. Sequence re-arranged by Dr. Nuala Burke, 1970-74. Original sequence restored by archivist Miriam Lambe in 1976, under the supervision of Dr. Philomena Connolly of PROI.
Conditions of Access & Use
Available to view by public who apply for research card at Dublin City Library and Archive Reading Room
Conditions Governing Reproduction
Reproduction subject to Dublin City Library and Archive Reading Room Terms of Membership and in accordance with copyright legislation. Publication by permission of City Archivist.